Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Still Alive! and other things


Let's just attribute my long absence to a perfect storm of computer issues, forgotten passwords, and other related maladies. But while I haven't lost my distaste for mocking Simmons and his so-called "classic", I'm wondering if it's even worthwhile to keep posting about it. Hell, the book wasn't new the last time I posted - I mean, does anyone really care about this book now? What's more, Simmons' recent work has been godawful. He established himself in a time when internet snark and pop culture references were fresh and funny. Now they're tired and played out (at least pop culture references are - snark will never die) and Simmons hasn't adjusted. If anything, he's become more juvenile and facile over time.

In most respects, Bill Simmons rates a "meh" with me. But, returning to a point I've made before, it really bothers me how he's become a kind of basketball oracle. Baseball has Bill James, and basketball has...well, the first name's the same anyway. So I suppose I owe it to posterity to finish my breakdown of Bill Simmons' Bogus Book. To get all of my objections on the record for future generations. Granted, future generations will have to find this site on the Wayback Machine while the Book of Basketball will be mandatory reading for English majors, but still. The point is, I'll be on record somewhere.

Normally, I answer comments in the comment section. But because I've been away for such a goddamn long time, the next post will be devoted to those comments I wasn't able to get to. Thanks again to everyone who has read, is reading now, and will continue to read. Special thanks to Ben from Bottom of the Barrel who still has my site linked on his.

Hello, hello,
well it's good to be back
good to be back
Hello, hello
Hello

No comments:

Post a Comment